Choosing a Winter Destination



0 comments
Previously on Mandy's Bows and Bats Wedding Saga:
Dress has been purchased
Country of Wedding has been decided

Ray and I decided on Canada for our wedding because a) we have never been there; b) There is snow there.

What this means is, we had absolutely no idea where, in the massive country of Canada, our wedding would be.  Thankfully I have a sister who is a travel agent and a mother who likes to travel and keep brochures. So initially my sister sent me in the direction of Lake Louise, specifically The Fairmont Chateau:

Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise




My first thought was, how did they build a hotel there? That is awesome. I loved it, this is exactly the kind of background we wanted. What does it look like in Winter though? I am so glad you imaginary asked me that:

Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise - Winter
We progressed onto finding out details, and whilst we loved this location and the hotel was amazing. The room for small weddings just didn't do it for me. So I then went and looked at about 20 other venues all over the Banff region. This was a daunting task, but we happened to stumble across a photographer known as Orange Girl who had a handy venue listing on her website. (I will do a separate post on Orange Girl who we have picked as our photographer). This list of venues was so handy, we used this, and a book my mum sent me to pick out some venues. Ill list a separate page with all the ones I liked the best in a separate post.


We found the Orange Girl list really handy, because I could then go look at her Portfolio, match it to a location and see what my wedding might look like. In the end we went with one my sister had sent me about a month before (we should have listened to her).

We chose Banff Springs Hotel (pictured below). It looks like a castle.

Banff Springs Hotel
What we loved about this hotel was not only the back drop but the totally awesome inside. It struck me at some point that if there was a blizzard or something that meant we couldn't go outside, is the venue i'm picking unique enough inside to still get amazing photos? This ruled out a lot of venues for me, because although their surroundings were amazing, I just didn't like what they had to offer inside. Banff Springs totally delivers on this aspect.

After receiving information on the ceremony and reception rooms, menu info, and a suggested room for our wedding size I googled imaged the room. I want to see normal people photos not ones with a wide angle lens that is photoshopped to an inch of it's life. We still liked the space, and when looking at some professional shots it came out really nice. So that was it! 

We did a excel spreadsheet of the estimated costs because we didn't want to go crazy over on the budget and it worked out to be pretty good. So that was it.

Venue decided. 

Mandy

0 comments:

Post a Comment

newer post older post